2007 Quevedo

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

2007 Quevedo

Post by jdaw1 »

A small tasting, with Glenn E. and his family, at Au Relais des Buttes-Chaumont, 86 rue Compans, Paris 19ème.

Links:
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 2007 Quevedo

Post by jdaw1 »

Decanted at noon, and not properly tasted then.

But a grumble. Oscar: why the unbranded corks? In eighty years, when a lonely bottle is found at the bottom of my recently-deceased descendant’s cellar, the purchaser(s) might never know what it is. ‟Very fine”, they’ll doubtless think, ‟but such a shame that we don’t know what it was”.

Is cork-branding that expensive?
ajfeather
Fonseca LBV

Post by ajfeather »

jdaw1 wrote:Decanted at noon, and not properly tasted then.

Don't think so, enjoying a bottle of Meantime Indian Pale Ale with my supper and the cork is branded!
oscar quevedo
Fonseca LBV

Post by oscar quevedo »

jdaw1 wrote:Decanted at noon, and not properly tasted then.

But a grumble. Oscar: why the unbranded corks? In eighty years, when a lonely bottle is found at the bottom of my recently-deceased descendant’s cellar, the purchaser(s) might never know what it is. ‟Very fine”, they’ll doubtless think, ‟but such a shame that we don’t know what it was”.

Julian,

I have to thank you for sharing your opinion and in this case disappointment regarding the usage of unbranded corks in our Vintage 2007. At the same time you are also giving us the opportunity to clarify this to other Port lovers. We had planed to bottle our Vintage 2007 in early July. But the temperatures were going up and we were felling uncomfortable to have it in the tank, waiting for the branded corks, which would take some weeks to receive. The corks supplier could provide unbranded corks in a couple of days. So it was a hard decision but we preferred to bottle it earlier, avoiding the heat of the Summer, even without the due cork.

Of course all this would have been avoided if we had ordered the corks with some months in advance. My big fault was not to have controlled this accordingly. To my regret we can't do anything now and I have to live with this for the rest of my days. But I hope this do not repeat in the future.

That said, this was not a question of price of the cork. Indeed I think there is no difference in the price of the branded cork and the unbranded one.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

oscar quevedo wrote:Julian,

I have to thank you for sharing your opinion and in this case disappointment regarding the usage of unbranded corks in our Vintage 2007. At the same time you are also giving us the opportunity to clarify this to other Port lovers. We had planed to bottle our Vintage 2007 in early July. But the temperatures were going up and we were felling uncomfortable to have it in the tank, waiting for the branded corks, which would take some weeks to receive. The corks supplier could provide unbranded corks in a couple of days. So it was a hard decision but we preferred to bottle it earlier, avoiding the heat of the Summer, even without the due cork.

Of course all this would have been avoided if we had ordered the corks with some months in advance. My big fault was not to have controlled this accordingly. To my regret we can't do anything now and I have to live with this for the rest of my days. But I hope this do not repeat in the future.

That said, this was not a question of price of the cork. Indeed I think there is no difference in the price of the branded cork and the unbranded one.
Thanks, Oscar and Julian for raising this topic. I am now with my 50 something sample from the 07 and experienced more unbranded corks or corks with simply saying Vintage Port than ever before, but this is definitely an explanation.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Oscar,

This was a bottle I received from Goncalo at Vinologia. It does not appear to be labeled for export (just a relatively simple front label and no back label), so I was a bit suspicious that you might have provided it to Goncalo early.

I'll post full notes once I get back to Seattle, but I thought it was very good. It is still very much a baby, but I think it will mature into a fine Vintage Port.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

2007 Quevedo: colour? it’s just like a really young port. Nosing of grape, tannin and ‘tank’. Lots of acidity. Lots. Not long. Dry; not much sugar at all. As with all young port, I didn’t know what to make of it.

Corks: if you had to choose between the quality of the product and the brandedness of the corks, you chose right. If Qv09 will have branded corks, that will have to suffice.
oscar quevedo
Fonseca LBV

Post by oscar quevedo »

Hi Glen, the bottle you had from Gonçalo is the official Quevedo Vintage 2007. But at the time we sent the bottle to Vinologia, right after bottling, we did not have the labels printed. So we sent draft labels on for them to introduce the wine at the bar.

Julian, if we will release a Quevedo Vintage 2009 I will make sure we will brand the corks :wink:

Oscar
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

oscar quevedo wrote: Julian, if we will release a Quevedo Vintage 2009 I will make sure we will brand the corks :wink:

Oscar
and dont' forget to get someone to import it to NY!
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

oscar quevedo wrote:Hi Glen, the bottle you had from Gonçalo is the official Quevedo Vintage 2007. But at the time we sent the bottle to Vinologia, right after bottling, we did not have the labels printed. So we sent draft labels on for them to introduce the wine at the bar.
Then I'm keeping the bottle - it's a collector's item! 88) Some day far in the future someone will find this empty bottle and think it was a forgery, so I'll have to make sure I keep a printout of this thread with the bottle at all times. :lol: It's going to be worth millions once Quevedo takes over the industry!!! :mrgreen:
Glenn Elliott
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

2007 Quevedo Vintage Port

Color: no note due to poor lighting, but it doesn't take a rocket scientist to guess that it's very purple, very dense, and very opaque.
Nose: dense and purple, slightly tangy (which I believe JDAW noted as tanky), and some very aromatic alcohol. Almost perfumey alcohol.
Palate: very grapey, very powerful. Primal. Handles spice and pepper equally well by simply steamrolling over them. (My appetizer, which was a spicy crab+morel mushroom dish, arrived as I was finishing my notes on the Qv07.) Neither sweet nor dry to my taste with a medium full body. Solid tannins and very good acidity. I suspect it may mature more quickly than many of the other 2007s I have tasted, but will remain on its maturity plateau for decades.
Finish: long and pleasant, with a smooth and even fade. I wasn't able to get a good note on the finish, unfortunately, due to the arrival of food.

Score: 93 points. Nicely balanced other than perhaps slightly too strong acidity, but I didn't find the acidity distracting. I'll venture a guess of about 25-30 years to mature, then many many years on a plateau.
Glenn Elliott