1970 Messias Cachao

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
benread
Niepoort 1977

1970 Messias Quinta Do Cachao

Post by benread »

This was a bottle swapped with Axel P in January 2009. With what I cannot exactly recall.

Decanted at 6pm. The cork broke. It was inscribed horizontally with the words "MESSIAS VINTAGE PORT". Any year was not visible but the label is very clear. Lots of thick sediment but standing it upright at 6am ha helped achieve a clean decant.

The label on the back appears to be in Portuguese, so I guess the bottle originated in that market and not intended for the UK.

More later...
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: 1970 Messias Quinta Do Cachao

Post by benread »

Bottle now gone - that is a compliment. There was a hint of cherry and chocolate to taste. It was a dark red semi translucent colour, with no great tannins to taste. A very easy drinking port that my guest and I enjoyed to distinction!
Ben
-------
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Ben,

glad, you liked it. I acutally emptied the first all by myself on an evening where I tasted it for the fist time, which does not happen too often. Easy, but mature Port with some finesse.

I liked it a lot, too, though not being a blockbuster in any case. Still got some, so we have to drink one together someday.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
benread
Niepoort 1977

Post by benread »

Axel P wrote:Ben,

glad, you liked it. I acutally emptied the first all by myself on an evening where I tasted it for the fist time, which does not happen too often. Easy, but mature Port with some finesse.

I liked it a lot, too, though not being a blockbuster in any case. Still got some, so we have to drink one together someday.

Axel
Axel,

I was not sure what to expect from this as some people have suggested Messias can be overly sweet. I am with you - easy but mature port with some finesse sums it up well!

I shall look forward to sharing a bottle with you some time next year!

Ben
Ben
-------