Auzzie "port" & other stuff - Q1 2010

Organise events to meet up and drink Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Auzzie "port" & other stuff - Q1 2010

Post by DRT »

As a result of this thread on :ftlop: where Uncle Tom was beating up Anthea W, a wine enthusiast/writer from Melbourne, Australia, I contacted her and offered to open my one and only bottle of Australian red fortified wine, a Langes 1888, if she ever visits London. It turns out that Anthea may be in London in January or February 2010 and would be delighted to join us for a tasting.

If you have any Auzzie stuff (or South African, but not Tanzanian, fortified red wine) please keep it safe until early next year. We will obviously have to add a number of real Ports to the line-up to show Anthea what she is missing :wink:

If you are interested in attending please throw your cork-decorated hat in the ring.

G'day.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: Auzzie "port" & other stuff - Q1 2010

Post by benread »

I have a bottle of Benjamin tawny which I would happily contribute to this. Sounds fun!
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I may have a bottle or two of South African fortified red wine made by Portuguese wine-makers from the grapes normally seen growing in the Douro region. I will happily save at least one of these for early 2010.

Fortunately for all who may attend this tasting, my last half bottle of Tanzanian Port went down the sink several years ago.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
WS1
Cruz 1989

Post by WS1 »

Hmmm, based on the conversation so far it looks to me none of you has had really good "Port/Colheita" typisch stuff from other areas on the globe so far. Also funnily enough on Tuesday evening as part of a pre dessert i was served a 1949 Cavendisch sort of 30 year Colheita (must have been bottled early 80ties) from South Africa which was rather lovely. Really good indeed. We try to get some more and anyway in case the date is fine Enrico and i may be interested to turn up. Sorry to say but Anthea maybe difficult to beat with her Auzzie stuff since most of the countries outside Portugal produce "Port typish" wines for a long time. I could not believe it but they mostly started with producing "port typish" stuff and then moved on to the easier to produce stuff. Do not beat me up, but I do believe to produce a decent port is much harder than to produce a decent wine!

regards

WS1
"Sometimes too much to drink is barely enough"
Mark Twain