1988 Fonseca Guimaraens

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1988 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by DRT »

Purchased at Sainsbury for £15 today and shown no mercy.

D+0
Very dark colour. A delicious smell of plums and violets fills the room as it decants. A dark brooding red in the glass. Nose now also has a little spirit. Nice weight, peppery taste with some unintegrated alcohol and lots of tannin. Very warming finish, which is long and sweet but leaves the palate powder-dry. See you again in 4 hours :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
benread
Niepoort 1977

Re: 1988 Fonseca Guimareans

Post by benread »

I had this on 26th September 2008, shared with friends who consume slightly less port than I do! They all loved it, as did I. I may need to raid the local Sainsburys if they have this in stock.
Ben
-------
Vintage 1970 and now proud owner of my first ever 'half-century'!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

All the other bottles of FG on the shelf were 1998. This seems to just be a stray bottle from the back of the shelf :cry:
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

D+5h
Lovely soft dark fruits on the nose. Good chewy texture with lots of strawberry jam and coffee and then big thick tannins. Still quite hot in the finish but not enough to spoil the experience. This is very nice wine but I don't think it is quite ready to drink yet. Perhaps another 5 years will do it more good than harm.
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

I had that recently, too. It was a big surprise to me, especially when drinking it side by side with the FG 86, which is much more mature.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I managed to snaffle the last three of these at my local Sainsbury's last week. I also have another half dozen and a couple of remaining 86's. I am happy enough with this situation.
Port is basically a red drink