2005 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

2005 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by Axel P »

Tasted within the Niepoort Range on Nov 27th with Dirk Niepoort:

I had the 2005 numerous times and it never impressed me.

Very good structure with violet reflections. Nose showes some blackberry-jam-notes, not too expressive. The palate is full with some fruit, coffee and a little tannin noticeable. Fairly short aftertaste.

You can call this elegant Vintage Port, but for me it fails strength and some power, that a young VP needs to have at this stage

Axel

For Dirk this is the best Port he ever made. Elegant and very long lasting. He said, that this will even outlast the 2003. A bet that I would be very interested in making.
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2005 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by Andy Velebil »

There are others who agree with you that this wasn't one of his best VP's. Yet I've heard Dirk say this is the best he's made *scratching head*
DrDirk
Fonseca Bin 27

Post by DrDirk »

This port has a very nice colour and a vey deep nose.

Taste: tanninic and you can chew it. There a hint of acidity in the taste which helps the fruit to develop in the mouth.

The aftertaste is extremly long.

After retasting it 48 hours later, the port seemed a little more lighter. I can not say how this port will develop in the future
Blue Stilton and Port - what else!
VJR
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Post by VJR »

Tannin management pushed to perfection. Not sure this should be the objective though. Extremely "modern", velvety texture, hugely opulent with layers of fruit. Ample complexity and good length, but will this have the brute staying power to become truly ageworthy port? :roll: Cheers, victor