1860 Unknown (Bottled by Loeb)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1860 Unknown (Bottled by Loeb)

Post by Andy Velebil »

1860 Unknown Producer Vintage Port -- shipped by Loeb
1860 Unknown Producer Vintage Port -- shipped by Loeb
Frank, knowing my love of Ports, graciously saved me a few glasses of this ultra rare vintage from a bottle he opened at a dinner he hosted recently. The only tasting notes for an 1860 Vintage Port are two by Michael Broadbent and both are the same Unknown Producer, shipped by Loeb. I assume they must be the same bottles as I’ve yet to find any records of any 1860 Vintage Port being sold.

The color of this old Port was a light tan with green edges. A very herbal nose reminded me of Chartreuse yet there was also the unmistakable scent of sweet toffee. Pine needles and cedar dominate the palate, which had no noticeable tannins left. While a bit hot, it still had good acidity to keep this medium bodied VP fresh. The finish, while not long or complex, showed some dried almonds. Obviously well past its peak, yet I had a hard time not drinking it. I guess you could say the curiosity of drinking such an old and rare vintage outweighed any of its short comings. 87 points

The discussion on this is HERE Since I finally got to drink this, I thought it fitting to post the TN on it.