2007 Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

2007 Quinta Nova de Nossa Senhora do Carmo Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

I was anxious to try this one. We tasted it over the course of several days.

This has a very unpleasant smell right after decanting, barnyardy, but it doesn't smell as if there is something wrong with the bottle. We decided to give it time and monitor where it went. The smell went from poopy, to spirity, to runny cheese and green stalks. The green, stalky tones remain on the nose from there on. On the first night there is some light fruit (redcurrant and sour cherries), but mainly hard, bitter and green tannins. It doesn't come together. At all. Very disappointing.

A bit more coherent at day two, but still not great. Very high in acidity, turning the red fruit sour. A bit less green, but still noticeable. There is a strong tannin structure, and the combination of tannins and acidity could mean that this should be able to age well, but for me it just misses the fruit core to do so, therefore I'm doubtful this will ever be a great port. Still disappointing, as I had expected something much better.