1997 Niepoort

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1997 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by Axel P »

Tasted within the Niepoort Range on Nov 27th with Dirk Niepoort:

The 97 was somehow strange. It is a beast with a lot of structure, grip and power. I am not really sure in which stage it is right now, as it was much more closed when I had it last time, about a year ago.

Strong coffee-notes in the nose, lots of fruity tones, but partially asleep. Full and grippy palate, but again not fully awake, though much more compared to the last bottle.

Dirk does not like his 97 too much, maybe a little overextracted.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DrDirk
Fonseca Bin 27

Re: 1997 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by DrDirk »

Nose: egg notes, not very overboarding

Taste: spicy,m closed up

Time will tell, whal will happen with this overextracted port
Blue Stilton and Port - what else!
VJR
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Re: 1997 Niepoort Vintage Port

Post by VJR »

Agree generally with Axel P and DrDirk's comments,
- this 97 lacked harmony - seems to be in a quirky and dull stage. :?:

For fun, just compared my old TN - written on release:
Decanted for one hour ”“ admittedly a full day of aeration may have been better! Black violet colour. Upon pouring, the wine comes across really viscous and thick-flowing, much like pouring a very creamy milk into the warming pot like I do sometimes at 3 a.m. for my two little brats at home. This formidable concentration was the first awe-inspiring impression. And then come the spellbinding aromatics. Overwhelming scents of crushed black forest berries, sultanas, ripe black figs and plums, prunes, nutmeg which are followed onto the expansive fruit-driven palate with additional flavours of malt and dates. Thereupon traces of black chocolate and captivating mineral flavours, some pepper and spice on the extremely long finale. Superb acid / r.s. balance. Dense, chewy tannins provide grip with multiple layers of fruit extract which carry the 20,5% alc. rel. without the slightest hot sensation on the mid-palate. While displaying crude power on the one hand, I cannot picture vintage port being more seductive than this voluptuous black magician.

Oh, dear, a decade on, I wonder where this is going to. :? Have some to monitor this.
Cheers, victor
VJR
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

Re: 1997 Niepoort Vintage Port (progress report)

Post by VJR »

Cracked a half bottle from my little stash - the first one in a decade - out of pure curiosity after ongoing reports about VA problems in this release (as Niepoort fans will be aware). As pointed out by Dirk van der Niepoort, apparently tell-tale signs of affected bottles are cork leakage. I don't see the connection but I checked my bottles anyhow and thankfully discovered no such external symptoms.

Ok, so here's my TN:
Cork in perfect condition. Brilliant purple colour with radiant ruby hues at the rim. Aromas of cassis, cherries, ripe black figs intermingled with plums, prunes and nutmeg which are followed onto the expansive fruit-driven palate with additional flavours of malt and dates. Sure, this wine is precociously ultra ripe! Hence the problems with VA in some bottles. Not this one though. Thereupon traces of bitter chocolate and mineral flavours, some pepper and spice on the protracted and expansive finish. Great texture and balance. Dense, chewy tannins provide grip with multiple layers of fruit extract that carry the alcohol without the slightest hot sensation onto the mid-palate.

Hey guys, relax, if you have this bottling, the 1997 Niepoort is developing superbly! I was becoming concerned after sampling several dicey bottles presented at recent tastings. In this condition, I unequivocally prefer this to Dirk's 2005 and 2007 VP releases, which he seems to particularly like stylistically. In fact I am beginning to believe this may be a worthy successor to the successful 1970 VP (in the dumpy bottle). This bottle was far superior to the one I had in autumn at the Niepoort vertical in Leverkusen. Wow, really pleasing 96+ points.

Cheers, Victor