2001 Fonseca Guimaraens

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

2001 Fonseca Guimaraens VP

Post by RonnieRoots »

Tasted January 2004:
Tasted it after it had been opened for one day. I don't think my notes will differ a lot from those of Stevie, but here they come anyway.

Very concentrated black color, with only a small bright purple/pink rim. The nose is just awesome, with lots of cherries, roses and spices (I thought nutmeg, Stevie thought musk...). It smells very dark, but also very fresh, not at all sharp or alcoholic. I could just smell this all night! Luckily, I didn't! This tastes soooo smooth, it's wonderful. It starts with full, sweet cherries, that evolves into rose hip and after that you're left with fresh raspberries. Aside from these there are also some dried green spices, like bay leaf and sage. Medium bodied and medium sweet, with firm tannins that are mostly masked by the sweetness and dominant fruit. The finish leaves you with a long aftertaste of bitter chocolate.
Great port, I will certainly buy a couple of bottles of this and save them for at least ten years. I completely agree with the 94 points Stevie gave.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

tasted June 2006:
Tasted this port again tonight, and it's still every bit as beautiful as it was two years ago. It hasn't changed much, which is probably a good sign. Perhaps a bit darker than it was (more bay leaf licorice than herb), but otherwise still as open and outspoken as it was just after release. A great port, and I guess it will go a long way. Steady at 94 points.