2003 Quinta da Pacheca LBV (unfiltered)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2003 Quinta da Pacheca LBV (unfiltered)

Post by JacobH »

Quinta da Pacheca is an independent quinta on the South side of the Douro, opposite Régua. I get the impression that it’s quite popular with visitors and that a few :tpf: members have been there but this is my first experience with their wines.

This LBV produced huge amounts of sediment on decanting and is very dark; albeit with a surprising amount of lightening around the meniscus. Drinking just after decanting, on the nose I am immediately struck by how thick and heavy this feels. There is a touch of what I think you would describe as rancio if encountered in brandy but this is perhaps overwhelmed by something which I can’t quite describe: pepper with a dark, savoury and smoky sensation.

In the mouth, it is quite muted: there is no obvious fruit and the sugar is not particularly strong. There’s a touch of heat and the after-taste has a certain amount of pepper. I imagine that this will need some time to open out properly and display nicely.

On this initial tasting, this reminds me a bit of the Noval unfiltered LBVs. If you like those, you’ll probably like this. Unfortunately, it’s just not a style of LBVs that appeals to me :(
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2003 Quinta da Pacheca LBV (unfiltered)

Post by JacobH »

I dug the second half of this bottle out of the fridge this evening (where it had been residing in an air-tight 375ml bottle). Very similar strength on first tasting, with perhaps a touch of almonds on the final palate. Based on similar Ports in the past, I can still see others liking this, but it’s just not doing it for me! :(
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2003 Quinta da Pacheca LBV (unfiltered)

Post by JacobH »

Just been working my way through a second bottle, opened to see if it was like the first. Again, too much rancio for my liking. I'm sorry to say that I'm now quite glad that I didn't buy more...