1945 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

1945 Warre Vintage Port

Post by Axel P »

This Warre Vintage Port behaved in exactly the same way like a Grahams 48 I had 3 years ago.

Directely after opening I thought it to be slightly odd and flat, but remembered the Grahams experience right from the start.

Strawish colour with decent structure. Some acidic smell was all I could get at the start. After about 1,5 hrs. this port started to remember what he was before, showing some honey, malt and toffee notes in bouquet and palate. After a short while the odd smell totally disappeared and the oustanding toffee, caramel and honey flavours remained with an outstanding length. Lucky us that we did not had too much of it in the odd phase. Tasted Feb. 5th. Excellent. 19

Bottle Warre VP 1945 Small.jpg
Bottle Warre VP 1945 Small.jpg (33.85 KiB) Viewed 4906 times
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1945 Warre Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

Axel,

This sounds fabulous - what was the occasion?

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Sounds like a treat, great note. Thanks! The colour of the port looks beautiful as well.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Derek,

what do you need occasions for? Lets drink and enjoy.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

What a beautiful colour!
Mark
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Axel P wrote:Derek,

what do you need occasions for? Lets drink and enjoy.

Axel
So you opened those 5 bottles of warre for no particular reason? Excellent! :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
meditek
Cruz Ruby

Post by meditek »

Oddly enough, I too opened a bottle of the same on Sunday. I had no idea of the year until I saw it written on the cork whereupon I did Google and found it here and there. The experience was pretty well identical to Axel's. Everyone that tasted it thought it was fantastic. It was certainly the best that I have ever tasted. Two days later what remained in the decanter (very little) had lost much of the honey and slightly burned caramel presided. I see that it is still available in the USA for £700-£800 a bottle! However, I simply cannot equate these prices to the experience but I suppose nowadays this is simply loose change to bankers and so forth.

The bottle was sourced from my late father's cellar. Many of the bottles have lost their labels which adds to the fun. The previous bottle we opened turned out to be a 1949 Richebourg which was also delicious. At the time of my father's demise some valuer offered £500 for the lot on the basis that without identification they were worthless!