2004 Croft LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

2004 Croft LBV

Post by angeleyes »

My first tasting note for y'all :D

Unfiltered. Bottled 2009. Half bottle.

Much better than the likes of a lot of filtered LBV (all but given up with LBV!), it has richer plumminess and better balance. The sweetness balances with the fruit nicely (Prunes and plums), with a good acidity in the background, the tannins providing a little grip. I think this might age nicely, and possibly a little faster as DRT suggested.

Not the most complex port in the world, but I liked it :wink:
Mark
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 2004 Croft LBV

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Great first tasting note. The most important thing is that we know you liked it and that it's worth looking out for.

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

I think that he ones that I've got are 2003, I would agree that they were simple but pleasant. I've left a few to age to see how they do in the future but will consider picking up the 2004s at the right price to continue the experiment.
Port is basically a red drink
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

Opened my third or fourth of these last night. Notes similar to October, but this one seems to be have prominent and fresh herb notes - aniseed and mint. There's the plumminess still. Good acidity and the tannins do grip a lot. Red tongue and teeth after a couple of glasses. Hmm, the bottles do seem to vary slightly - I recall the last one didn't have so much tannin. However I think this wine could do with some time, as it's heavy rather than elegant. Pity I only have one or two left :(
Mark