1977 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1977 Dow vintage port

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

This was double decanted for 12 hours before being poured, and probably suffered as a result. Mid red colour, with a light and pale centre. Mature redcurrants on the nose, with a roast meat undertone. Very dry entry, still strongly tannic and with big levels of acidity and an interesting herbaceous or leafy component. The aftertaste is a little harsh and the finish subdued. A bottle not showing well, so the rest of the bottle was taken home for review the following day. NR. Drunk 11 Feb 2010.

The following day, the bottle clearly revealed a slight touch of TCA.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: 1977 Dow vintage port

Post by Chris Doty »

This was only my second bottle of 77 Dow (the last one I had in NYC about a year ago). Sadly, the results were nearly identical. There is something flawed (thoug maybe not strictly TCA) going on with this bottle. Very difficult to get any enjoyment of the juice. Like trying to look at a painting through a window covered in dust and soot. Tragic.

Flawed/NR
oscar quevedo
Fonseca LBV

Re: 1977 Dow vintage port

Post by oscar quevedo »

I'm felling remorse for not have given more time to this Port. I think it would deserve more attention when I tasted it at the Crusting Pipe on February 11th. What makes me sad is to see that Alex got the same results on the day after. :(