NV Cockburn Fine Tawny

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

NV Cockburn's Fine Tawny

Post by RonnieRoots »

While you people are drinking verticals of Sandeman, or getting ready for an annoyingly big Vesuvio offline, I am modestly sipping Cockburn's Fine Tawny. Yes, I'm desperate.

This is in the new, hip bottle, bottled by Symington Family Estates. The front label says: "Light with toffee notes," and the back labels says the port has "hints of toffee and butterscotch; a mellow port with spicy feel."

Indeed, mellow it is. After a while, that is. Because it starts off very hot and alcoholic. Luckily, this disappears. What is left is a simple tawny port, that matches the description on the label quite well. Flavours are ok, it is rather thin and has no finish to speak of. It lacks a bit of freshness, which makes it slightly cloying. A slice of lime could solve this problem. Needless to say, I drank this chilled.

Not half as bad as I thought it would be. I think I will finish the bottle. But I'm also quite happy that we received a couple of bottles of Taylor's 10YOT to replace this as daily drinker.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: NV Cockburn's Fine Tawny

Post by DRT »

RonnieRoots wrote:getting ready for an annoyingly big Vesuvio offline
We will of course raise a toast to abscent friends :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: NV Cockburn's Fine Tawny

Post by Axel P »

Poor Ronnie, you should mention your being so desperate at the next chat you have with your boss concerning a raise. Oman might be too hard indeed!

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com