1970 Sandeman

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1970 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by g-man »

Smooth picks up body towards the end of the night.

This is where i started noticing that the sandeman across the vintages share a cardimon cinnamon flavor with only the sugar levels and spirits differing.

A vote from glenn as the best of the night.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1970 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Color: Deep garnet, very solid. 4th darkest (out of 5), which was surprising given that it is the 2nd youngest.
Nose: Aromatic alcohol, some red fruits. Mostly just a pleasant, mature Port smell.
Palate: Fruity, but still pretty dry. Call it medium dry - it's the sweetest of the 5. Good tannins, but only decent acidity. Nice round mouth feel, but only a medium light body. Best balanced of the 5.

This was my WOTN by a decent margin. I did still get the impression (as with the other 4) that it wouldn't fare very well in a lineup with better Ports from other producers, but it was good enough that I'd be happy to have it again. Scoring was tough, as I'm not sure I'd call this "Outstanding" yet that's where I was leaning with the score. So I'll put it on the edge and call it 90 points.
Glenn Elliott
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: 1970 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by SushiNorth »

Sandeman 1960, Sandeman 1963, Sandeman 1966, Sandeman 1970, Sandeman 1977, Croft 2000, Planning, Review, Placemats

Garnet, and slightly darker than the 66, it's nose was disappointingly light. Again, very very smooth, but light in taste with a bit of mint as it evolved.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope