NV Warre Warrior

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

NV Warre Warrior

Post by angeleyes »

Wouldn't normally post a ruby review, but was surprised by this one. Purchased for just under a tenner.

Dark red colour, almost opaque in the centre. Nice legs, though a swirl shows little viscosity. Pungent nose of dark fruits. In the mouth, it's a little thin but there's some stewed fruits, lovely acidity, and quite a big tannic grip - which indicates it could age? Though I can't tell if the fruit will hold out, or if it's hiding and will come out.

Knocks the socks off some big name LBVs.
Mark
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: NV Warre Warrior

Post by KillerB »

angeleyes wrote:Wouldn't normally post a ruby review, but was surprised by this one.
Please do - we need proper Ruby reviews. I try my best to put one in if I've opened one but the more we have the better. I'd hope that casual readers of TPF would be willing to read our opinions on Rubies as that is the biggest market out there.

BTW, I like Warrior too and I haven't done a TN on it, so thanks.
Port is basically a red drink
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Re: NV Warre Warrior

Post by angeleyes »

Left in the fridge for a week, have come back to it this evening. Still holding up nicely, it's lightened up to show good freshness of cherries and blackberries with a touch of fennel. Straightforward, it's a touch thin and the aftertaste is bitter, but has reasonable balance. Would suggest this might be a food port.
Mark