NV Quinta do Noval Black

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

NV Quinta do Noval Black

Post by Axel P »

Tasted with our Friend Rute at essencia. Elegant bottle (will post a picture soon) and cool design. Definitely more on a LBV-level than a special reserve. Fruity, spicy and a decent complexity. Worthy successor of the Noval LB

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Re: Noval Black

Post by Roy Hersh »

What took you so long? :mrgreen:

Axel, good to see you enjoyed this Port. It is making a big splash in the USA and when the importer here can ramp up the volume , this is going to sell like maple syrup in Canada. An outstanding effort by Noval and the price is quite fair too.
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Totally agree.
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by Andy Velebil »

Spot on TN Axel. I love this bottle and it is a nice step from the LB. I've found it for less than $20 at a store kinda far from me and I bought a bunch for a solid daily drinker. I can't wait for it to hit more stores around me so I don't have to make the drive. I have no doubt the price will end up being closer to $20 in most places, rather than the projected $22. That extra couple of dollars can be the breaking point for some people here in the States when buying a Reserve Ruby.
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

It is selling in state-run (monopoly) wine shops in Pennsylvania for $18.99 ... which is incredible given what their prices are like typically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

It will be interesting to see what this retails at in the UK. For the past year or so I have noticed that premium rubies have been priced almost identically to LBVs. The Noval unfiltered LBV is normally available in the UK for around £12, which, in my view, is a little under-priced compared to some of its filtered and unfiltered rivals from TFP and SFE. If Noval Black comes in at the same price or below the unfiltered LBV it will be significantly cheaper here than the prices you guys have been quoting in the USA. If it is priced higher than the unfiltered LBV, it had better be very, very good or it will have stiff competition from its own stable :roll:

i am really looking forward to tasting this. I think it is perhaps the most exciting non-VP launch that I have encountered in my port-drinking "carreer" 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Roy Hersh
Niepoort LBV

Post by Roy Hersh »

Jeez and we thought that remarkable annointment was preserved from here to eternity by Pink Port.

From what I understand, the UK won't be seeing this Port for another year or so. Better ask Andy to pack up a bottle to bring over to share with you!
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Roy Hersh wrote:Better ask Andy to pack up a bottle to bring over to share with you!
I'm way ahead of you on that one :twisted:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn