1970 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1970 Warre

Post by DRT »

Served blind at this off-line at the Crusting Pipe, London, on 9th March 2010.

The ports: Wines marked "*" were purchase on the night at TCP due to a world record consumption of 1 bottle each in less than 2 hours, which included dinner :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1970 Warre

Post by DRT »

Translucent red/brown with a clear rim. A little dusty on the nose. Nice, thick mouthfeel with rhubard crumble, some heat in the mid palate and a peppery finish.

The guesses:
  • DJP: Gould Campbell 1977 (0 points)
  • RLC: Warre 1970 (2 points)*
  • WS1: 1975 (0 points)
  • CSD: Vargellas 1967 (0 points)
  • AHB: brought this bottle (0 points)
  • DRT: Sandeman 1970 (1 point)
  • MKD: 1975 (0 points)
Group score: 1/12

* RLC admitted to seeing a small label marked "W70" on the base of the bottle as it was being poured and was therefore deducted 100 points for cheating :lol:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

Notes left at the table.

From memory- liked this one, slightly short, bitter finish.
Mark
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Very disappointed with this bottle. Clearly the lightest and youngest of the bottles (I guessed a 67), this was quite thin and harsh throughout, without much structure or lift. Improved a bit as the night went on, but was quite far from a charmer. Wolfgang commented that it was not a representative bottle, which I was glad to hear, as I have recently purchased two 70 Warre's for my cellar on the strength of Jacob's recommendation. 81pts (flawed?)
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Thats really strange. I opened two bottles this year and found them superb. Please try this one again.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Chris Doty wrote:Very disappointed with this bottle. Clearly the lightest and youngest of the bottles (I guessed a 67), this was quite thin and harsh throughout, without much structure or lift. Improved a bit as the night went on, but was quite far from a charmer. Wolfgang commented that it was not a representative bottle, which I was glad to hear, as I have recently purchased two 70 Warre's for my cellar on the strength of Jacob's recommendation. 81pts (flawed?)
It doesn't sound like a Warre 1970 at all...I hope the others you have are much more like it should be (especially as I now feel a bit responsible for them!)...
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Chris Doty wrote:Very disappointed with this bottle. Clearly the lightest and youngest of the bottles (I guessed a 67), this was quite thin and harsh throughout, without much structure or lift. Improved a bit as the night went on, but was quite far from a charmer. Wolfgang commented that it was not a representative bottle, which I was glad to hear, as I have recently purchased two 70 Warre's for my cellar on the strength of Jacob's recommendation. 81pts (flawed?)
It doesn't sound like a Warre 1970 at all...I hope the others you have are much more like it should be (especially as I now feel a bit responsible for them!)...
mosesbotbol
Warre’s Otima 10 year old Tawny

Post by mosesbotbol »

JacobH wrote:It doesn't sound like a Warre 1970 at all...I hope the others you have are much more like it should be (especially as I now feel a bit responsible for them!)...
1970 Warre is a solid velvet port. Last year I drank at least 6 bottles of this and they were all consistent. Oh well. Don't write it off. I have a Magnum of it I am dying to open at some point. Would like to do a 1970 magnum hortizontal but need a few others to help drink.
F1 | Welsh Corgi | Did Someone Mention Port?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

mosesbotbol wrote:Would like to do a 1970 magnum hortizontal but need a few others to help drink.
Send a PM to New York tasters and some would surely be willing to trek to Boston. Or come to the old world a magnum 1970 would make an excellent lunch-time warm-up for the Brits.