1987 Quinta do Noval Nacional

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1987 Quinta do Noval Nacional

Post by jdaw1 »

It having been declared an emergency, at 4pm a bottle of Nacional 1987 was decanted. The cork was only slightly damper than dry, and emerged in one piece with my preferred screwpull.

Front label:

Back label:

Bottle number GT 294763 02:

Cork:

Wine:

D+0: an even red, perhaps with the slightest hint of pink: a port approaching the plateau. Lovely nose, with lots of fruit—something exotic and red. To taste hot and sharp. Alcohol, pepper, acid. And something that could be strawberry.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Jdaw,

I have amended the title of this thread to comply with the agreed TN format.

I have had the need to call upon the Emergency Decant Procedure a number of time but never with something as illustrious as a QdNN :shock:

I am looking forward to reading your TN as my recent experience of this wine was not good.

Derek

PS: I also invoked the Emergency procedure tonight but opted for a Morgan 91 :?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

NN87 continued

Post by jdaw1 »

D+5 hours: the wife says “tastes of grapes†, “horrid†, “acid†. I’d like to disagree with her, but the NN87 has yet to give me real pleasure, and today’s is like the rest. Was much better earlier.

Moral: drink within an hour of opening.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

NN87 continued

Post by jdaw1 »

D+ 26 hours (though kept overnight in the fridge, as Manhattan is hot): terrible. No heat, though with a puckering astringency that just doesn’t belong. My NN87s cost me a mere $110 each, and now I know why.