2007 Morgadio da Calcada

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

2007 Morgadio da Calcada

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

From a sample kindly provided by Axel Probst. Inky purple in colour, opaque and sticking to the sides of the glass. Very fragrant and floral nose, full of ripe blueberries but swirling brings a slightly unpleasant streak of petrol. Strong and firm tannins hold a grip on the cheeks and teeth. Good levels of ripe, almost jammy, fruit but also an astonishing level of acidity which cuts through the jamminess; some lovely floral components. The acidity creates a slight burn on swallowing, but this fades quickly to leave a long finish of dark chocolate. A mid-tier port from an excellent year. 87/100. Tasted 24 Mar 2010.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Re: 2007 Morgada da Calcada vintage port

Post by Michael M. »

What was the decanting time for the Morgadio? To my taste it blossomed out only after 48 hours. I agree lusty acidity. Tannins more rustic than those of Niepoort VP and Niepoort Pisca VP but nevertheless quite impressive on day 3. I found the scoring of 90 from Miller to be too defensive.
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

I tasted this 48 hours after Axel gave me the sample. I'm not sure when it was opened - perhaps 24 hours before I was given the sample?

PS. I love the phrase "lusty acidity". I shall try and use that in the future!
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Has anyone tried their other wines? They seem to be producing pretty much the full range of available Ports. I find the idea of wines from smaller independent places being produced in collaboration with bigger shippers quite attractive, so it would be interesting to see what they are like...