1991 Quinta do Noval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1991 Quinta do Noval

Post by g-man »

Had with Sushi North tonight.

Me thinks a good bottle with less than ideal storage.

Nose of stewed fruits, cinnamon and a hint of violets/very light lavender.

The mouth offers cedar, raisin and tons of stewed prunes blended with cloves?. The tannins are perfectly blended in with a lingering tobacco finish that goes on for about 20 seconds.

The down side is that this bottle was browning and felt like it aged more then it should have for a 91 bottle.

I gave it 90 points as it was a very good drink and would say if other bottles are representative, drink up!
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1991 Quinta Do Noval

Post by RonnieRoots »

The browning and developed nature of this port is quite as I experienced it as well. I don't think it has anything to do with bad storage, more with being a poor port (for Noval standards that is).
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: 1991 Quinta Do Noval

Post by SushiNorth »

Light raspberry red, bricking, with a spirity nose, some smoke and oak.
In the mouth it's nice and smooth (though it got a little rough later in the evening). It's a bit too hot and there are lots of raisins and stewed prunes in here (tzimis!). The tail fades fast, leave heat and a caramel & wood flavor that reminded me of all the 20y tawnies i'd been drinking earlier in the day. I rated this a 93, but as before, i'd been drinking some pretty miserable contenders earlier.

Second photo -- we struck a bit of sediment at the end :)
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope