1966 Sandeman

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1966 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by g-man »

T+0

A little too spirity so I have it opened a little for decanting.

A fantastic bouquet. Orange marmelade mixed with fresh strawberries filled the air when I decanted for sediment. In the glass is no different.

Medium body with tastes of currants with lemon zest. A claret drinker's port. Strong spirits show up though and I'm hoping air time will do it justice. The finish also lingers for over 45 seconds.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1966 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Color: Deep garnet, 2nd darkest (out of 5). Very pretty in the glass.
Nose: Dusty, with slightly sweet raspberries. Somewhat closed nose.
Palate: Smooth, with good tannins and good acidity. Sweeter than the two older bottles, but still dry to medium dry. No real primary fruits to taste, but several secondary flavors that were pleasant. As with the others, light bodied.

A close call between this and the '77 for 2nd place, but I scored the '77 slightly higher. The '66 is a fine Port, though, despite finishing 3rd overall. 89 points.
Glenn Elliott
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: 1966 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by SushiNorth »

Sandeman 1960, Sandeman 1963, Sandeman 1966, Sandeman 1970, Sandeman 1977, Croft 2000, Planning, Review, Placemats

A bit mediciny and green to smell, my sole tasting comment was that it was very, very smooth. That was perhaps the most defining thing about this wine, as nothing stood out in flavors.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope