1977 Sandeman

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

1977 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by g-man »

placeholder
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1977 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by Glenn E. »

Color: Garnet fading to ruby and then on to pink near the rim. Lightest of the 5, which seems backwards as it is also the youngest of the 5.
Nose: Dust, some alcohol. Fruit compote, but faint. A little tough to smell due to the presence of a seared hunk of red meat on my plate, which just arrived.
Palate: Dry entry, but sweeter later. Fruit starts slowly and builds in the mouth. Tannins are faint and the acidity is only decent, so probably not a long life ahead of it. Still, quite pleasant now and the fruitiest of the 5 though ultimately still medium dry. Drink up.

A close call between this and the '66 for 2nd place. I ended up giving the edge to the '77 because I liked its fruit better for drinking now. The '66 will probably live longer despite its 11 year disadvantage. 89+ points.
Glenn Elliott
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Re: 1977 Sandeman Vintage Port

Post by SushiNorth »

Sandeman 1960, Sandeman 1963, Sandeman 1966, Sandeman 1970, Sandeman 1977, Croft 2000, Planning, Review, Placemats

crisp color, garnet as usual, and great clarity. It's nose is a bit light, but this wine has a bit more fruit to balance against the more nuanced sandemans "old port" flavor. Smooth, but the fruit makes this my wine of the night.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope