1977 Dow

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
JAC
Cockburn’s Special Reserve

1977 Dow vintage Port

Post by JAC »

This is my second bottle from a case of '77 Dow acquired from WineConsigners.com. One bottle from the case showed signs of seepage, and I figured it would be better to go ahead and drink that one that hang on to it for a few more years only to find that it was a bad bottle. You can read the tasting notes here: viewtopic.php?f=2&t=3788 Suffice it to say that I would have been disappointed if I'd saved that bottle for some special occasion years from now. But that also got me worrying about the rest of the case, so I opened another bottle this weekend. It's not the same wine.

The cork came out in one piece.

Unlike my last bottle, which was a transparent amber, this one is dark red and opaque in the decanter. It ;looks like vintage port.

Decanted at April 2, 2010 at 4:30 p.m.

D+0: Good and hot. It smells like some sort of berry that I can't identify right now.

D+3: Still a bit of heat and a bit astringent.

D+5.5: Pretty much the same, but sweeter; almost syrupy.

D+6: Same. Poured as much as would fit in an old half-bottle (almost no air under cork) and put it in the refrigerator.

D+19: Back in the decanter with the rest of it. Giving it half an hour to assume room temperature.

D+19.5: It's really opened up. Still a little heat, but the syrupy sweetness has given way to lighter, more complex taste of things I don't know the words for. Very good.
Last edited by JAC on 18:13 Sat 03 Apr 2010, edited 1 time in total.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1977 Dow vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

Sounds much better! Good to hear.