NV Ramos Pinto Tawny 10YO

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

NV Ramos Pinto Tawny 10YO

Post by SushiNorth »

Oh this is good. very smooth, good fruit, good balance. it's a touch too hot in the back, but this is a splendid 10Y. 92.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: NV Ramos Pinto 10Y Tawny

Post by KillerB »

Genuinely better than the 20yo? Note to self - buy the 10 not the 20.
Port is basically a red drink
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

KillerB wrote:Genuinely better than the 20yo? Note to self - buy the 10 not the 20.
I've had both and I wouldn't say that. The Ramos Pinto Quinta do Bom Retiro 20 Year Old Tawny is my favorite 20-year old, and I'm not all that fond of the Quinta do Ervamoira 10 Year Old Tawny.

Are those the same as what you're talking about?
Glenn Elliott
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Glenn E. wrote:Are those the same as what you're talking about?
That’s what I was wondering about, especially as I have a bottle of the Ervamoira 10-year-old open at the moment. (Though a cold means that attempting to taste it is pretty pointless)...
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

As far as I know Ramos Pinto's 10YO is always Ervamoira and its 20YO is always Bom Retiro, and no other bottlings exist.
SushiNorth
Martinez 1985

Post by SushiNorth »

Well, part of my tasting notes has to do with what i'm looking for in a flavor profile. I wanted a little fruit in the 10y, with a very nice balance. For me, 10y is the perfect non-VP moment between turning too almond/caramel and being too young and tannic. The 20y (in the other TN) was fine, but i would have wanted to see more mellowness @ length and a little less heat. If you are looking for a much stronger flavor and an absence of fruit, then i can understand why you'd like their 20y over the 10y and over other house's 20years.
JoshDrinksPort
Image Port wine should perhaps be added -- A Trollope