Berry flavours

Anything to do with Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Berry flavours

Post by Glenn E. »

Split by jdaw1 from tasting note of Warre 1970.
jdaw1 wrote:I’ve never had a boysenberry. Am I missing something important?
Possibly. Boysenberry is something that I find in a lot of VP. It is one of the more classic purple berries to me.

Locating some to try shouldn't be too difficult. Boysenberry jam or syrup is excellent on waffles or buttermilk pancakes.
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1970 Warre

Post by DRT »

All sounds like a load of Brambles to me :roll:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

It looks like the thing missing from my life is the dewberry.
SCP-DFF
Taylor’s LBV

Post by SCP-DFF »

Glenn E. wrote: Locating some to try shouldn't be too difficult. Boysenberry jam or syrup is excellent on waffles or buttermilk pancakes.
Glenn, you must be American (me too). Pancakes with boysenberry syrup anyone?
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

I always preferred whortleberries...
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: Berry flavours

Post by jdaw1 »

Split by jdaw1 from tasting note of Warre 1970.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Thorny subject... :D

So where's the Chehalem berry's parentage?

If wiki is correct, the Himalayan blackbeery, Pacific blackberry and another hybrid called the Santiam berry need to be added to the chart..

..anyway, they all leave pips stuck in my teeth.. :x

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

This reminds me of those overdone TN's, not to mention specific critics (cough- Robert Parker - cough cough) that instead of saying "aromas of tobacco and leather" instead write impossibilities like "smells like fresh cut Virginia lowland tobacco and notions of manure dusted, lightly oiled Spanish leather"

Boysenberry yes. Himalayan boysenberry and all the rest, pah-leez, as we say here in America.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

Portman wrote:This reminds me of those overdone TN's, not to mention specific critics (cough- Robert Parker - cough cough) that instead of saying "aromas of tobacco and leather" instead write impossibilities like "smells like fresh cut Virginia lowland tobacco and notions of manure dusted, lightly oiled Spanish leather"

Boysenberry yes. Himalayan boysenberry and all the rest, pah-leez, as we say here in America.
There was a time when I would have agreed. At that time, I also would have said that chocolate is chocolate is chocolate.

Then I tried several estate reserve chocolates from South America, and the difference was as plain as day and at least as dramatic as the differences between different Ports. So I no longer scoff at the idea of Himalayan boysenberry being distinct from whatever other boysenberry... in fact for a tuned palate, I suspect it is very true.

And yes, MaryAnne, I was born and raised in the mid-West. I have fond memories of a tree fort my friends and I built in a mulberry tree (yet another black/purple berry that I occasionally find in Port) and have enjoyed being introduced to the many berries out here on the Left Coast.
Glenn Elliott
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

I actually have a boysenberry tree in my yard. I'm not sure what the actual variety it is but they are delicious when they ripen around June.

If anyone detects Himalayan blackberry in their port please let me know. :lol: Bill
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Not really knowing much about berries, but since i sell tea now i've had various varietals of daisy flowers at my disposal and I can tell you that egyptian camomile is sweeter then german camomile. On the nose german camomile has almost a slight putrid smell to it when dry.
Just like california chrysantheum is nowhere near as honeyed in smell nor as sweet as southern china's chrysantheum (fujian province)

But these are actually distinct species of daisys. Ie they're not the same plant potted somewhere else. Same genus but different species. I can see the same with berries, but if it's the same plant, I dont buy into this terroir business.
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz