1970 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1970 Warre

Post by jdaw1 »

Port from General Election years, in The Crusting Pipe, on the occasion of the May 2010 general election.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1970 Warre

Post by jdaw1 »

[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=35455#p35455]Here[/url] AHB wrote:Early news reports on the candidates are now being received, as follows:

Warre 1970
Decanted for 7.5 hours. Mature red in colour, clearly comfortably middle aged. Lovely warm nose, full of spicy redcurrants and cinnamon. Delightful entry, very balanced. Some aggression from a combination of acid, tannin and alcohol. Fabulous fruit on the palate, very impressive. Tannins are dry, but quite firm and sit comfortable within the multitude of layers. Very spicy. Long, rich and sweet Christmas cake and mulled wine finish. Tremendous - a superb wine. 92/100.
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

Still very red in colour, looking youthful still. Thought the nose was quite tarry, some smoke. Sweet, grippy and a hot finish. Took a while to come round for me, but loved it. Mistook it for something much younger!
Mark
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

This is EXACTLY what I want in vintage port. Resolved but still lush and lively in the mouth. Structure, balance, great finish, this has it all. Not comparable to the bottle we tried here a few months ago -- and thanks to Jacob for recommending this to me. Glad to have a few more, and would likely buy a case if it was guaranteed to turn out as well as this bottle. 92+
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

The last four I had of these were all spectacularly good, so Chris: go ahead and buy some. Now they are still fairly cheap.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com