2000 Delaforce

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

2000 Delaforce

Post by Portman »

I opened this just so I could be the first to post a note on a wine.

Opened and sampled immediately. Lightly sedimented purple space slime at the bottom of the bottle, but not overtly alarming. The variation in port sediment never ceases to amaze me. (I'm surprised no one at this forum hasn't made a gallery of strange sediment photographs.) Dark garnet bordering on opaque purple color. Nice nose of menthol, cedar and violets. Well delineated black fruit transitioning to strong young tannins and a long finish.

On its way to being excellent in another 10-15 years.

D+ 24 The components are better integrated and tannnins smoother as one would expect but the wine is also markedly spirity on the nose. Not quite as promising as at first sampling.
Last edited by Portman on 16:06 Mon 03 May 2010, edited 1 time in total.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 2000 Delaforce

Post by DRT »

Portman wrote:I opened this just so I could be the first to post a note on a wine.
I love that reason, and have sometimes done the same myself :wink:
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 2000 Delaforce

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

DRT wrote:
Portman wrote:I opened this just so I could be the first to post a note on a wine.
I love that reason, and have sometimes done the same myself :wink:
And that would never be the only reason why I would open a bottle of Delaforce 1975
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.