NV Warre Otima Tawny 10YO

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

NV Warre Otima Tawny 10YO

Post by RonnieRoots »

Couldn't believe I never posted a note on this one, but it turns out I did, this is what I posted in january 2007 on the FTLOP board:
I always like this port, but it's been a while since I last tasted it, a good excuse to revisit it.

Polite nose with dried lemon zest, dried orange peel and some caramel. Light and semi-sweet palate, very easy drinking with citrus flavours and nuts. Fresh. It gets a bit livelier when chilled, gains a bit in body and gains some darker roasted nut flavours. Well balanced I still like it. It's nothing complicated but a lovely, easy drinker. 86 points.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Found a bottle of this in the fridge, that must have been open for at least 2 months. And amazingly: it's every bit as good as in the TN above. OK, it may be a bit sharper on the nose, but that's virtually the only difference. Conclusion: this is the ideal port to always have a bottle of in the fridge. :)
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

I'm drinking this as I post. Not worthy of another individual TN.

I would endorse the conclusions. A lovely stocking filler of a Port. A touch watery, which is consistant with the cheaper ports. A smidgeon too firey, but not distracting enough to cause problems. I wish it was thicker, and had a more constructed aftertaste, but this is definately the best chance of Port attracting a wider audience.
I know Tom is suspicious of the bottles smaller size, but I think its modern packaging/design is a big plus.

5 more bottles to go.

Alan
Michael M.
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Michael M. »

I had this one multiple. I would agree: a comfortable easy drinker. In Germany one can get this for 17 EUR/0,5l. That would be 25,50 EUR/0,75. Too much imo in comparision to top notch 10 years old Tawnies.

Cheers
Michael
Shut Up 'N Drink Yer Port
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Conky, you are going to have to revisit the 20yo based on your comments above. It's the body and the complexity that is the big difference. Get one from Waitrose, if they have one in Skelmersdale.
Port is basically a red drink
Conky
Fonseca 1980

Post by Conky »

Cheers, its on the 'To Do' list.

and when we all sit down to burnt dead animals on Sunday, yours will be on a table in Skem. The rest of us will be on my patio! :lol: :lol: :lol: