Latest buy

Anything to do with Port.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Latest buy

Post by Glenn E. »

2 x 1952 Dalva Golden White Colheita

Goncalo tells me that this is a special bottling of 750s done by Dalva for Roy's Fortification Tour this year. Otherwise they're only bottling 500s now because the '52 Golden White is almost all gone.

12 x 1987 Graham's Malvedos. '87 is my anniversary year so I wanted to get a supply for future parties. :D
Glenn Elliott
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

Post by uncle tom »

Once in a rare while, when browsing through some house clearance bottles in a provincial saleroom, you get an 'oh yes!' moment.

On the bench this morning, rather casually lotted up, were about fifty bottles of very dusty claret, a few fine names, but mostly obscure; with vintages going back to the 1940's. Notable were the levels, which were remarkably good.

At the end lay four bottles of port, and a bottle of sherry. Jointly lotted with the sherry was a bottle with a blue foil capsule that simply read 'Vintage 1927' - with no other ID, the foil perfectly covering the cork. It had a level that was about 3mm into neck.

Next to it stood three bottles, with no labels, all with the same foil capsules, which read: "John Sarson & Sons, Leicester - with the word "Port" in the middle. All three had levels well into neck, the best less than half an inch from the cork.

What really struck me though was the bottle glass - this was very old - probably pre-first world war. Levels like that, on bottles that old, are extremely rare.

Now, these could be re-used bottles - I've been caught that way before; but these looked like peas from a pod, and they were from a proprietory bottler, not an estate or college.

I had to wait over an hour for the sale to get to the booze, and there was a separate collection of whisky to sell first. As the whisky lots came up, no fewer than five telephone bid lines went active, not to mention bids from the room and internet. The prices amazed me, with some lots going for nearly ten times estimate. The bidding took a long time also, as the auctioneer was starting very low, and making small bid increments.

But as the whisky ended, most of the telephone bidders signed off. The wine, however, continued to attract very full prices. As the two port lots came up, I could see there were no more telephone bidders active - it was me against the room and the 'net.

I had set myself a bid limit of £200 for the '27 - the glass looked pale enough to stand a sporting chance of reading the cork if I cut the foil away. In the event, the hammer fell to me at £190 +BP.

Now for the star lot, but what to bid to? I really wanted that trio, and knew that if I popped one, I'd probably have the ID of the other two. Sound pre WWI bottles have been making well over £500 each of late, so what should I bid to? £500, I thought, then £600 - maybe a bit more..

The auctioneer launched in with 'who'll give me £100' - someone did - and the bidding rocketed to a bid from me for £160 before pausing. The auctioneer looked at the internet guy, looked at the room, said 'all done then?' then paused for what seemed like an age..

..and then he dropped the hammer.

Aside from getting what I hope is a stupendous bargain, this was a thoroughly enjoyable little jaunt; and the bottles are all now safely tucked up downstairs.

All I need now is an excuse to pop one of the bottles..

..The Bell at xmas, perhaps..?

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

What a great story Tom. I'm very curious to hear what the content of the bottles will be. Did you cut back the foil on the 1927 yet?
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Did you cut back the foil on the 1927 yet?
Not yet, I shall let it rest awhile before I invade its privacy.. :D

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

An excellent result. I think the Bell at Christmas would be the perfect time to open one of these.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
ac-fast
Niepoort LBV

Post by ac-fast »

Hoopers 1912... :-)
Any time not spend drinking port, is a waste of time.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

Great story. Please follow up as your detective work bears results. I think we all want to find out what you end up with and hope it is something delicious and valuable.
Portman
Fonseca LBV

Post by Portman »

2004 Quinta de Romaneira

I actually know very little about this house, but when I read AHB's note and saw the price ($20), I jumped on six as cellar defenders.
Thank you AHB and TPF for helping me score what should be an excellent value.
AHB wrote:Purple and opaque. Very open blueberry nose. Sweet and fruity entry, slight bitter note in the start of the midpalate - perhaps from a touch too much acidity - tannins are not too aggressive. Aftertaste is huge and very long. 92/100. Tasted 6/10/06 after 1 hour in the decanter.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Portman wrote:2004 Quinta de Romaneira

I actually know very little about this house, but when I read AHB's note and saw the price ($20), I jumped on six as cellar defenders.
AHB wrote:Purple and opaque. Very open blueberry nose. Sweet and fruity entry, slight bitter note in the start of the midpalate - perhaps from a touch too much acidity - tannins are not too aggressive. Aftertaste is huge and very long. 92/100. Tasted 6/10/06 after 1 hour in the decanter.
I'm delighted I could have been of help!

Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

I've just been informed that a lowball bid I placed with a couple of others from FTLOP for a case of 1970 Taylor actually won. I don't have full details yet, but our max bid was $100/bottle which works out to $120 with the buyer's premium included. Since those typically sell closer to $180 in the US (though occasionally as low as $150), it's a pretty good deal. :D
Glenn Elliott
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

Portman wrote:2004 Quinta de Romaneira

yea I jumped on that deal too!
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by g-man »

2x cockburn 63s
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Post by Glenn E. »

6 x 2003 Quevedo LBV
6 x 2007 Quevedo VP
12 x Oscar's Wine

As a bonus along with that order I'm receiving a sampler pack of single varietal 2009 Ports from Quevedo's Quinta da Trovisca. 187ml each of Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Sousão, Tinta Roriz and Tinto Cão. I expect that they'll be practically grape juice since they've had no time to age, but it should still be interesting to experiment with blending them.
Glenn Elliott
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Glenn E. wrote:As a bonus along with that order I'm receiving a sampler pack of single varietal 2009 Ports from Quevedo's Quinta da Trovisca. 187ml each of Touriga Nacional, Touriga Franca, Sousão, Tinta Roriz and Tinto Cão. I expect that they'll be practically grape juice since they've had no time to age, but it should still be interesting to experiment with blending them.
Cool. Me want.
gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

Last sunday, at auction (placed bids online beforehand, wasn't at the auction):

- Q do Vesuvio 1995 VP case of 6;
-Q do Vesuvio 1996 VP case of 6;
- Q do Vesuvio 1997 VP case of 6.

:D
smisse
Fonseca LBV

Post by smisse »

gerwin.degraaf wrote:Last sunday, at auction (placed bids online beforehand, wasn't at the auction):

Nice purchase Gerwin. Which auction was it?
gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

smisse wrote:
gerwin.degraaf wrote:Last sunday, at auction (placed bids online beforehand, wasn't at the auction):

Nice purchase Gerwin. Which auction was it?
Thanks, it was yes :D (Although I missed out on 3 bottles of Taylor's Vargellas Vinha Velha 2000 by just €10 :( :( , they went at €160 exclusive of buyers premium).

It was the auction at Winefields (they still are some lots for sale at the aftersale -ports as well-, if you're interested, just give them a call).
Alex M
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by Alex M »

2 x Grahams Malvados 1987. Hoping they survived the underground journey home yesterday.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

1 x Dow 1985, 2 x Warre 1983 @ £30 a bottle, which I was quite pleased with - need to build up my 1980s ports for the long term balance of what I will be drinking.

uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Ferreira 1830, signed by Jorge Ferreira and complete with certificate. Level: base of neck.

..I think this bottle was discussed by its owner on FTLOP, where some big money numbers were suggested re. its value.

I chanced on it advertised on eBay, with a fairly modest opening price of £350.

The bidding has just ended, and I won it for...

..£350!

Seems no-one else spotted it, and the vendor didn't bang the drum at all.

- Result!

Tom
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

That is a result - well done!

Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Tom, would this be another one for the bell? :-)

I just caught a Ramos Pinto and a Feuerheerd 1945 at a german auction in excellent condition.

Furthermore I got a Hutcheson 1987 for the Hutcheson Vertical, that I do hope Julian will organise eventually.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

I got a Hutcheson 1987 for the Hutcheson Vertical, that I do hope Julian will organise eventually
Maybe we should hold that at the IVDP in Porto, and invite them to attend.. :D

Tom
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Axel P wrote:Tom, would this be another one for the bell? :-)

I just caught a Ramos Pinto and a Feuerheerd 1945 at a german auction in excellent condition.
Or perhaps we should get round to organising a 1945 horizontal?

marc j.
Fonseca LBV

Post by marc j. »

1 x 1830 Ferreira
1 x 1908 Sandeman
3 x 1977 Croft
1 x 1980 Fonseca
1 x 1988 Kopke Colheita
2 x 1994 Fonseca
2 x 1997 Ferreira
2 x 1997 Niepoort