1966 Croft

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1966 Croft

Post by uncle tom »

One of a small stash bought some time ago - this bottle selected for showing very slight seepage.

The era of thick plastic capsules was mercifully short - it was a right bugger to remove...!

Drew the cork at lunchtime while Derek was raiding my stash of boxes and picking up the bottles for the next Offline.

Nice rich juice, with classic Croft signature.

Bit fiery though, and a little over spiritous when I re-visited it at 5pm.

Nine hours down and the spirit is beginning to integrate nicely - will re-visit for a nightcap..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

This is the first time I have had Croft 1966 for breakfast - a very nice experience :lol:

Thanks, Tom

Derek
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Still a little fiery last night, but now, 28 hours on, the wine is much smoother and fuller, with the fire almost gone.

For future reference, this wine needs a full 24hrs decanting time.

To score.

Better than the median? Certainly. Top quartile? Just about - for immediate gratification this therefore gets an 8.

Where's it going? Not quite as four square as some 66's, I sense that this wine is just beginning to run out of time. Indeed it might lack some composure in ten year's time..

so score 8-6

- one to re-visit in two years time I think

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
BirDungy
Cruz Ruby

Post by BirDungy »

Hi UT

I'm a newbie on this site but a big fan of Croft '66, having had more than my fair share of these and still sitting on a dozen in cellar.

The last I had was back in April (or was it March?) at an offline of some very serious wines and this came last, badly decanted. Nonetheless, it was magnificent. I agree with the slightly unintegrated alcool spirit with the rest of the wine but otherwise, this is majestic port and worthy of a top top score.

I am not sure how your scoring system works but I would give this a 95/100 on any decent port drinking night.

BirD
I am the Birdungy, ooh ooh
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Having had some of BirDungy's Croft 1966 I can only say that my memories of it were that it was beautiful colour and tasted gorgeous. Details are a bit fuzzy, as they were at the time :roll: but I remember it as a genuinely top Port.
Port is basically a red drink
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

Hi BirD!

Good thing you showed up here, that should prevent you from missing any more offlines! 88)
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

BirD,

To understand my scoring system, refer to the information sticky on the Conversations page.

Tom