1975 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1975 Fonseca

Post by KillerB »

Caramel nose, little to no fruit, too acidic with a fair bit, but not over-powering VA. Not really very good.
Port is basically a red drink
Axel P
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by Axel P »

Wine was send by mail from WS1, thanks for this again.

Light, orange-red color with strong hints of age. Fragile in structure. Nose showed off very nicely with all the good stuff a matured VP should have: mainly toffee and caramel notes. The palate was rather disapointing: alcohol and the resulting sharpness from it. Nice bouquet though. A port solely to smell on.

Axel
worldofport.com
o-port-unidade.com
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

First flight, served alongside the 1984 Guimaraens.

Very pale, brownish colour. A soft and pleasant nose with some sweet caramelized sugar and faint raspberry. Very sharp to taste. All fruit gone, leaving all tawny / sherry-like flavours. Thin, sharp, and a bitter finish. Did I mention sharp already? Pretty nasty. 80 points.

While the port may not have been very good (although the nose was actually quite pretty) I enjoyed tasting it. It was one of the ports from my birth year that I hadn't tried yet.