1970 Quinta do Noval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

1970 Quinta do Noval

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Deep red in colour, centre just transparent. Sweet, spiced redcurrant on the nose; reminiscient of sultanas soaked in spiced light syrup. Thick and mouthfilling with some spiciness on the tongue; very full bodied presence. Rich and thick and full of flavour. A bit of a burn on swallowing, followed by a long aftertaste of sweet cranberry jelly. A big port right at its peak. 90/100.
Last edited by Alex Bridgeman on 14:01 Thu 05 Aug 2010, edited 1 time in total.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Re: 1970 Quinta do Noval

Post by Chris Doty »

Just a bit closed on the nose. Tom says this is the same as my wine (meaning it is a '70 Warre). Not sure I think they smell the same, but they're clearly pretty close in spirit. Thick and rich in the mouth, good structure, bright spices, and a decent helping of fruit. Lacks the umph, x-factor, originality, deliciouness, etc. to take it up to the 'excellent' level, but this is not far off. 89pts

I've not heard anything about the Noval '70, but I take it that this was showing above its reputation. Wouldn't be at all sad to get served this.