1999 Castelinho

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1999 Castelinho Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

This was taking up valuable space in the cellar, so was chosen as port to enjoy during holiday while camping.

But sadly... there was nothing enjoyable about it. What a horrible, sad excuse for vintage port. The IVDP must have been sleeping the day they approved this. It smells light and chemical, like sweet and sour sweets. The taste is that of a cheap ruby. It has no characteristic of vintage port whatsoever. One glass was drunk with great difficulty before I put it back in the tent, while saying to LadyR: "It probably needs another day to open up..." Well, maybe it did, but it didn't improve. It only got worse, if possible. The rest of the bottle was donated to nature. Quite possibly the worst vintage port I've ever tasted, including Cruz and Royal Oporto. If forced to give points I would end up with the generous number of 70.

Needless to say.... Avoid.