1985 Churchill

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1985 Churchill

Post by jdaw1 »

Ch85, at D+3hr. Purple, 90% opaque. Very dark. DRT thinks very dark red rather than purple: I can live with that. Nose of black plum. To taste rich thick mouthfeel, again black plum, very sweet, with some heat on the tongue late-palate. DRT thinks not anywhere near ready: luckily I have two bottles left from the case. DRT says that it is the second-best 1985 he has tasted, after Fonseca. Or maybe Graham is also better?

The fruit is very dark. There is plum, but also something else we had trouble indentified.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Re: 1985 Churchill

Post by jdaw1 »

Unanimously, Wine Of The Weekend, with F77 in second place.
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: 1985 Churchill

Post by Glenn E. »

Some time later this fall, or perhaps early this winter, I plan to do a 1985 mini-horizontal with Burmester, Churchill, Croft, Fonseca, Gould Campbell, Graham, Smith Woodhouse, and Taylor. Those being the 1985 Ports for which I have duplicates. I like the Churchill a lot, but I tend to rate it near the Gould Campbell and Smith Woodhouse not the Fonseca and Graham.
Glenn Elliott