2005 Croft Roeda

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Andy Velebil
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

2005 Quinta da Roeda Vintage Port -- Croft

Post by Andy Velebil »

I tasted this at varying times over the past three days. This started out dark purple and by day 3 was solid opaque. Initially lots of tobacco leaf, boysenberry, and some chocolate on the nose that gave way to a large amount of seductive lavender and blackberries by day 3. The one thing that remained consistent was the massive chalky tannins that completely dried out the palate and a solid dose of acidity. I will say this wasn't pleasant to drink on day one, but not in a bad way. It was just so youthful, primary, and raw that it was a chore to taste...always a good sign for a VP! The one other thing that was consistent throughout was the full, complex, and long finish. It just hung on the palate and throat and seemed to never end. However, the fruit did get a little tight at the end of day 2 / beginning of day 3, not bad mind you, just a sign of a solid bottle going through some youthful fazes. I'm glad to see Croft getting back in the game after a long dry spell (1991 and 2003 excluded). I look forward to tasting more from this house in years to come as I think The Fladgate Partnership, and winemaker David Guimaraens, is finally getting this house back on track.
95 points
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2005 Quinta da Roeda Vintage Port -- Croft

Post by JacobH »

Andy Velebil wrote: I'm glad to see Croft getting back in the game after a long dry spell (1991 and 2003 excluded). I look forward to tasting more from this house in years to come as I think The Fladgate Partnership, and winemaker David Guimaraens, is finally getting this house back on track.
I didn’t realise that Croft had had a bad period! I haven’t drunk as much as I would like but some of the recent ones I’ve tried (such as the ’70, ’77 and ’82) have all been fairly impressive. That said, I suppose some of the Roedas (perhaps the ’95 and ’97) have been a bit weak...

However, I completely agree that this is a fine Port, worth keeping for the long-term.