1998 Dow Bomfim

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

1998 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

From half bottle, from the same batch as this bottle. On the first day showing very similar to the bottle opened in 2008: green, dry, harsh, hot and disjointed. The dark chocolate and cocoa had evolved a bit, now showing more sour cherries. I didn't find it especially pleasant at this point and decided to keep most of the bottle for later tasting.

Now, three days later, it is less hot, so that's a plus. But that's about all. A weird combination of smells: cooked cabbage and paint (but not really VA). A bit softer to taste, but still dry and bitter. Some attractive flavours, but a hollow, flat ending.

At this point I wouldn't recommend this port to anyone. And seeing how it evolved in the past two years doesn't really make me hopeful for its future development. Not one of the better Bomfims.
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Re: 1998 Dow's Quinta do Bomfim Vintage Port

Post by RonnieRoots »

This didn't get better on day 4 and 5. I don't have high hopes for my remaining bottles...
angeleyes
Quinta do Noval LBV

Post by angeleyes »

I've got a lone bottle somewhere - keep a while longer? Or palm off to an unsuspecting relative at Christmas?
Mark
RonnieRoots
Fonseca 1980

Post by RonnieRoots »

I would say it's the perfect Christmas present for someone who doesn't have a clue about vintage port.