1998 Fonseca Guimaraens

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1998 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by DRT »

...is now in the decanter. 88)
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Re: 1998 Fonseca Guimaraens

Post by DRT »

Before opening this bottle I consulted my health coach in Paris via Skype-IM:
In a fit of desperation DRT wrote:I am suffering from FG98DS. What should I do?
With obvious concern for the well-being of a close friend jdaw1 wrote:Hold on: checking my father’s medical textbooks.
Interesting. Perhaps because he qualified in the 1950s, his textbooks seem to be recommending a magnum of Fonseca 1896.

Doubtless medical technology has improved since then.
Not having the ideal drugs available and becoming increasingly ill and desperate DRT wrote:A Mag of F 1896 is indeed the perfect cure for this ailment but I have decided to test whether or not FG 1998 has a placebo effect of making my body recover by thinking it is being fed by "the real thing".
In an attempt to make his patient feel calm and reassured jdaw1 wrote:A noble self-sacrificial scientific experiment. Proceed!
A now close-to-death DRT wrote:I do try to take one for the team whenever possible.
Having had enough of DRT's self-pity jdaw1 wrote:I am making do, satisfactorily, with a cigar and Talisker 10Y.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Fonseca Guimaraens ’98 Deprivation Syndrome: a grave condition needing urgent remedial action in large quantities. We can only hope that DRT pulls through.

Get well soon old chap.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

D+Not very long.
A huge blackcurrant nose that also has a smell of fresh raw beef. Dark red but no longer opaque. Translucent beyond its years?

Thick and viscous. The tannins are quite aggressive and at this stage are overpowering the fruit.

This is a good wine. Not a blockbuster but a good, solid vintage port that should be drinking fabulously in 5 to 10 years form now.

I bought this for about £13 in Sainsbury. I should have bought many more bottles.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Is it still for sale in Sainsburys? Does £13/bottle include delivery? To Paris?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Fonseca Guimaraens ’98 Deprivation Syndrome: a grave condition needing urgent remedial action in large quantities. We can only hope that DRT pulls through.

Get well soon old chap.
I am happy to report that my condition appears to be improving. I no longer have the feeling of hopelessness that had descended upon me only an hour ago. I am now on my second dose of the prescribed medicine and will, as advised by all good medical practitioners, finish the course before assuming I have recovered fully.
Ernest H. Cockburn
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I must say that I am hugely encouraged by the results of this experiment. FG1998 does indeed give similar clinical results to F1896, although perhaps the recovery is somewhat slower with this new formula.

To validate these initial findings I have prepared a small control sample that will be sent to Professor Wiseman, a pre-eminent expert in the subject of port deficiency syndrome, currently residing in Paris. Hopefully the sample will reach him in good time before he departs on his next field research trip.
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

Please reassure me that you have not neglected your basic epidemiological methodology: of course, you have sent both the 1998 and the 1896, labelled with arbitrary codes, for me to test (skip the placebo: epidemiological methodology is only so interesting). I am to report which works better.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:Please reassure me that you have not neglected your basic epidemiological methodology: of course, you have sent both the 1998 and the 1896, labelled with arbitrary codes, for me to test (skip the placebo: epidemiological methodology is only so interesting). I am to report which works better.
Message from the laboratory technicians office:

We regret to inform Professor Wiseman that the control sample of F1896 inexplicably exploded just as we were about to despatch it to Paris. Luckily the patient caught and digested the explused liquid so nothing was wasted. Fortunately, the primary sample of FG1998 remains intact and will at least allow you to provide a preliminary analysis.
Ernest H. Cockburn