1997 Duff Gordon LBV

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

1997 Duff Gordon LBV

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

Bottled in 2002, won at auction last sunday (so not sure about provenance, and it has been in bottle for 8 years already). Bottles all look pretty good still with driven corks.

Although I've been around this forum for a while, this will be my first (or one of my first) tasting notes, so bear with me.

Colour, deep dark red, lightens a little towards the edges. The nose has lots of ripe red fruits, some darker tones. Taste is nice, what can be expected judging the nose, fruit, a little heat/alcoholic taste (nut enjoyable, not overwhelming) and some spices. Finish is on the short side, but nice enough. it showed something we call in Dutch "zondoorstoofd" (means something like basked in the sun for quite some time, one can taste the wamth of the sun in it).

This particular bottle has one of the lowest levels of the bunch (I have 12 of them) and the cork showed almost some seepage through, but it doesn't seem to have affected the wine yet, so I'm curious about how the others bottles will turn out.

I'll give it a 75/100 score.

:660033:
marc j.
Fonseca LBV

Re: Duff Gordon 1997 LBV

Post by marc j. »

Nice tasting note! I'm looking forward to opening a bottle of Duff Gordon VP this weekend - I'll let you know how it goes...
gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

Re: Duff Gordon 1997 LBV - 2nd Bottle

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

Last night opened the second bottle of the lot. I will try to post my TN's on every bottle of this one here, as I open them in the (hopefully) next couple of years.

This bottle looks fine, no signs of leakage / seepage or anuthing. Level is good as well. The cork (driven) came out a bit crumbled, as I opened this one with my pulltap waitersfriend.

Colour is a nice very dark ruby red all around, and it has a fine clear glow about it. This one has a littel bit of heat on the nose, followed by hints of cherry, some spice and liquorish. On the palate it shows lots of red fruit (very ripe, jammy -is that a known term in English? - ) again cherry, black berry, a bit of pepper and again the liquorish. It displays a nice powerful port taste. The finish on this one is a little longer than it had on the first bottle, nice warm and glowing, with a touch of vanilla in the end.

I thouroughly enjoyed these first two (generous :D :nirvana: ) glasses of this bottle and I will give this one 80-82 / 100 (which I think is very good, since in my book an LBV will probably not be able to get scores over 85 (those are for the excellent VP's, Colheitas or very old Tawnies).
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Gerwin,

Another nice note from you! And, yes, jammy is an english description for very sweet fruit.

Since this was a different bottle, would you mind if I asked one of the admins to separate this tasting note from the earlier one so that they show up on the tasting note index as two separate tasting notes?

Thanks,

Alex
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
gerwin.degraaf
Taylor’s LBV

Post by gerwin.degraaf »

AHB wrote:Gerwin,

Another nice note from you! And, yes, jammy is an english description for very sweet fruit.

Since this was a different bottle, would you mind if I asked one of the admins to separate this tasting note from the earlier one so that they show up on the tasting note index as two separate tasting notes?

Thanks,

Alex
Hi Alex,
Thanks for the reply on 'jammy'. No problem to separate this TN from the other one.
Gerwin