NV Graham Tawny 10YO (bottled 2010)

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

NV Graham Tawny 10YO (bottled 2010)

Post by DRT »

NV Graham's 10 Year Tawny (b. 2010)
Purchased today from Tesco at the discounted price of £15. This wine is now presented in the same dumpy bottle that the Graham's "The Tawny" has been sold in for the past few years.

Rich golden red colour. Sweet toffee nose. Good weight and very smooth. Good levels of dried red fruits in the entry followed by tobacco in the mid-palate and then a nice warming glow. The finish is very viscous, sweet and mouthwatering.

Yummy.
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Glenn E.
Graham’s 1977

Re: Graham's 10 Year Tawny (b. 2010)

Post by Glenn E. »

DRT wrote:Yummy.
Hey now, don't you start liking tawnies! There won't be enough left for the US if you Brits start drinking the stuff too!
Glenn Elliott
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Glenn E. wrote:Hey now, don't you start liking tawnies! There won't be enough left for the US if you Brits start drinking the stuff too!
:twisted:
Ernest H. Cockburn
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Don't worry Glenn. At least half of the people who have tasted this bottle still don't like tawnies. Proper man's port is what I prefer to drink.

A blind sample provided by DRT. Strange nose, full of marzipan and floor polish. Rich and full entry, slight heat showing through a rich orange and cream body. Hot aftertaste, thick and rich sensation on the finish with over-sweet orange dominating the decent length finish. Guessed to be a 10 year tawny - it was; bottled 2010. 82/100. Drunk 19 December 2010.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I have had a large, chilled glass of this almost every evening since opening it and I have to say it is a very nice pre-dinner drink.

I might have just found a new hobby 88) (sorry, Glenn!)
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Is the glass of these bottles nice enough to become a backup decanter when washed?
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Yes. The only thing that lets it down in that regard is that the neck is too narrow to be a "real" decanter and when you decant a bottle into it the fill goes into the neck so there is no air space. That second problem is very easily solved very quickly :wink:
Ernest H. Cockburn
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

DRT wrote:Yes. The only thing that lets it down in that regard is that the neck is too narrow to be a "real" decanter and when you decant a bottle into it the fill goes into the neck so there is no air space. That second problem is very easily solved very quickly :wink:
Ah, a theoretical rather than practical problem! I might see if Tesco’s has some tomorrow. The M&S Ruby Reserve sold in reusable decanters is deeply disappointing, both in terms of the Port and the fact that the decanter is only 50cl (though I appreciate this could be another theoretical problem... :wink:).