NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Bottled an estimated 30 years before being opened. Decanted off a modest amount of firm sediment. Surprisingly good colour for such an old ruby reserve. Faint cabbage on the nose, with some sweet rhubarb. Mild entry, which develops well to show mature red fruit (strawberry) and good depth of flavour. Air brings out more layering and flavours. Generous aftertaste, which leads to a big finish of bitters and sour cranberry. Extremely tasty port, if a little light in body. Nice drinking. 84/100. Drunk 31 December 2010 after 24 hours decanting.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Post by JacobH »

AHB wrote:Bottled an estimated 30 years before being opened. Decanted off a modest amount of firm sediment. Surprisingly good colour for such an old ruby reserve. Faint cabbage on the nose, with some sweet rhubarb. Mild entry, which develops well to show mature red fruit (strawberry) and good depth of flavour. Air brings out more layering and flavours. Generous aftertaste, which leads to a big finish of bitters and sour cranberry. Extremely tasty port, if a little light in body. Nice drinking. 84/100. Drunk 31 December 2010 after 24 hours decanting.
Does this mean we should make a point of cellaring our Cockburn's Special Reserve for at least 30 years before drinking it?
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: NV Cockburn Special Reserve

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

That is the clear conclusion that I have come to. Do not pop and pour your Cockburn Special Reserve. Cellar it for 20-30 years and then decant for at least 36 hours before drinking.

It's strange, I know, but I enjoyed this and the bottle even received approval from my better half.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.