1955 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

1955 Taylor

Post by jdaw1 »

Saturday 29th January 2011, at Selwyn College Cantab, on the occasion of the 56th Annual Dinner of the Cambridge University Tiddlywinks Club, at which were consumed one bottle of 1955 Taylor and eight of 1985 Taylor (decanter labels and TN sheets).

The 1955 Taylor came from the lot of ‟believed 1955” sold by Christies.
[url=http://www.theportforum.com/viewtopic.php?p=22045#p22045]Here[/url] jdaw1 wrote:
JDAW, in a PM to AHB, wrote:5. Capsule metallic with black at sides, perhaps the same as 1 and 7. Black glass too dark to see branding. BN+2mm.
T55, at about D+4hr. Dark red, 70% opacity, which was much fuller colouration than at D+0. Quite dry and astringent, with lots of structure (acid and tannin) such little fruit as there was being plum. Smooth, soft and balanced. No heat. Patrick D suggested strawberry, which I couldn’t find. A very fine bottle.

Because it was shared between 26 drinkers, only a small sample each. Alas.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 1955 Taylor

Post by JacobH »

jdaw1 wrote:Saturday 29th January 2011, at Selwyn College Cantab, on the occasion of the 56th Annual Dinner of the Cambridge University Tiddlywinks Club, at which were consumed one bottle of 1955 Taylor and eight of 1985 Taylor (decanter labels and TN sheets).
I highly approve of the venue!
jdaw1 wrote:T55, at about D+4hr. Dark red, 70% opacity, which was much fuller colouration than at D+0. Quite dry and astringent, with lots of structure (acid and tannin) such little fruit as there was being plum. Smooth, soft and balanced. No heat. Patrick D suggested strawberry, which I couldn’t find. A very fine bottle.
But would this have been better than a Warre 1995 LBV?
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JacobH wrote:I highly approve of the venue!
Thought you would.
JacobH wrote:But would this have been better than a Warre 1995 LBV?
Not for the purposes of toasting a Club founded in 1955.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

jdaw1 wrote:The 1955 Taylor ... was shared between 26 drinkers
Shock - horror! JDAW has turned into an American!
jdaw1 wrote:the purposes of toasting a Club founded in 1955
That explains it. JDAW's reputation remains intact. :D
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
Ajva
Cheap Ruby

Post by Ajva »

Good evening all,

I hope you will welcome a comment from a long-time lurker but first-time poster to your hallowed boards. I too was present at the Tiddlywinks Club dinner last weekend, and jdaw1 has asked me to pop in and share my thoughts on the '55 Taylor. He also asked me to share my thoughts on the '85, but alas by that point I was having far too much fun to take it all in - and besides, I was concentrating on preparing my traditional 'parrot in the freezer' joke.

So, to the '55: my immediate impression was of a fairly balanced, gentle but bountiful thing with - yes - a touch of strawberry, so I'd agree with Patrick there. If I'd known I'd be commenting on it to seasoned port lovers, I'd have brought my notebook along, but alas I did not. I hope this will suffice as my first effort.

yours etc.,

Ajva.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

Ajva wrote:I was having far too much fun to take it all in - and besides, I was concentrating on preparing my traditional 'parrot in the freezer' joke.
Ajva,

Welcome to :tpf:

Please enlighten us with the not-so-warm tropical bird joke. Please?
"The first duty of Port is to be red"
Ernest H. Cockburn
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

DRT wrote:Please enlighten us with the not-so-warm tropical bird joke. Please?
When Anne is persuaded to attend a tasting, you can hear it. She tells it well.
Ajva
Cheap Ruby

Post by Ajva »

Thank you, jdaw.

Yes, I shall wait until then. It rather loses something in the transcription, I think.

Ajva.