NV Churchill Crusted 2000

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

NV Churchill Crusted 2000

Post by uncle tom »

From a case bought two years ago.

Light, slightly watery bouquet - on the palate it is relatively dry. Somewhat lacking in body and noticeably tannic. Little fire though.

- A good quaff - sound after dinner booze for those who think they have to eat Stilton at the same time..

However, the fresh approachable nature of crusted port says a lot for the benefits of blending wines from different years.

This being the third bottle I've opened from the case, I sense the wine is a little less raw than a year ago. While perfectly guzzleable now, it will probably improve a little more with time - I sense that 10-15 years is peak drinking age here.

Will I buy more? Not actively. I can't argue that this is in any way better than the Morgan '91, and a bottle typically costs 50% more retail.

In my little notebook for pricing non-vintage port at auction, I have an entry: "Crusted - under 20yrs old - all shippers - £7.00/btl"

However, only Garrafeiras are less frequently under the hammer!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Small post script..

I decanted this bottle on Saturday, and have been a little slow with the consumption..!

It was noticeably better after 48 hours - more integration, less overtly tannic - and now, a day later, it is better still.

Note to me - plan ahead next time..!

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Re: 2000 Churchill crusted

Post by uncle tom »

Another bottle quaffed this week - tannins less of an issue with this bottle, but it seemed a bit lame and feeble until - again after 48hrs decanting - it achieved good integration - candied licorice came to mind!

A few more years will probably pay further dividends..

Tom