1966 Warre

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1966 Warre's Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

January 2007

UK bottled by Peatling & Cowdry (embossed lead capsule) - I bought this bottle as part of a mixed lot of Dow's and Warre's 66 - no labels and the cellar tags became detached during shipping. I had this one down as a Dow's until I pulled the cork (intact) and found it was Warre's 1966.

Decanted cleanly with lots of dark crust stuck to the side of the bottle, despite being stood up for 3 days. Colour was remarkably dark for a 40 year old VP with no signs of browning. An attractive cherry nose whilst decanting but in the glass seemed very closed. Initial taste was very dry with some heat. Licorice taste fading to mint and then watering cheeks. Promising.

+8 Hours
Fabulous dark and very bright appearance. Nose still closed but revealing black cherry & licorice. Still very dry and the tanins dominate everything else.

+11 Hours
Stunning wine, tanins now integrating and masses of fruit coming through.

+14 Hours
Fragrant nose. Putting on weight and colour as each hour goes by. Tanins now fully integrated and wine shoing at it's best from 11 to 14 hours.

+60 Hours
Very smooth and elegant - black cherry and still very chewy - a magnificent wine.

I had this bottle over a 3 day period. It never faded away but was never as good as it was at 11 to 14 hours. One of the best VP's I have had.

Score 9-8