1963 Quinta do Noval

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1963 Quinta do Noval Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

January 2007

Appears to be a UK bottling - no label - purchased from Seckford Wines this year in a shared lot with Alex Bridgeman.

The cork came out intact. It was quite badly stained and the branding was barely legible when first extracted. Straining my eyes to read it I thought for one moment that I could see the word "Nacional" - not bad for £40 a bottle I thought - unfortunately, as the cork dried and exapnded it became clear that I was halucinating - a "normal" Noval 1963 is what I had in front of me (I must have been dreaming about Tom's good fortune too often and made up my own fairytale)

On Decanting
Dark brownish red with a hint of pink. Thick and chewy mouthfeel. Initial taste of strawberry is quickly replaced by heat then a nice long red fruit finish.

+8 Hours
No noticeable change in colour. Strawberry sill dominant with a long, long finish

+11 Hours
Heat has gone completely - very smooth and chewy - now has chocolate and a very long finish with a touch of mint. Best of the 3 tastings so far.

+15 Hours
No significant change from 11 hours

Score: 8-6
KillerB
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Post by KillerB »

Past its best from all known sources apparently. That's why it's only £40. I saw it for £60 and stumbled, realising why.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

Post by DRT »

I was surprised by this bottle. I expected it to be going downhill rapidly but it was extremely nice. I'm so glad I have another one from the same source 88)

Derek