1985 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
RAYC
Taylor Quinta de Vargellas 1987

Re: 1985 Taylor

Post by RAYC »

Though clearly not on a par with the G85 and F85 in terms of voomph, this strikes me as an underappreciated port on these boards and has a perfectly respectable elegance to it.

Mind you, the "Taylor effect" means this is still not a cheap proposition if you are looking to buy in the secondary market today - good ex-cellars stock looks like it is £280ish per 1/2 case ib.
Rob C.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Post by JacobH »

Deep purple. Slight cherry colour on edge. Red currants on the nose. Cherries, too. In the mouth, good fruit which falls away quite quickly to a little astringency but is followed by a short but elegant after-taste. Much better than its reputation has it to be: a very nice Port.
Chris Doty
Graham’s Malvedos 1996

Post by Chris Doty »

Others liked this a lot more than I did. Got some light varnish/VA on the nose, and a cloudy and unremarkable wine in the mouth, with a fairly short finish. While better than some of my prior experiences w/ the T85, this is still towards the middle/bottom end of the specturm to me as it relates to 85 port (behind Fonseca, Graham, Dow, Gould, Churchill, Smith Woodhouse, and so on).
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

Post by jdaw1 »

JDAW’s T85. Red, fairly opaque (TCP lighting not allowing greater precision). Nosing of plum. To taste lots of tannin, plum fruit. A hint of acridity mid-palate, but otherwise excellent.

Correctly identified by RAYC, then DRT concurring with the identification. Other guesses (anonymised) were G80, G94, ?92, Mz92, TV87, Ni92.