2009 Dow Senhora da Ribeira

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
jdaw1
Cockburn 1851

2009 Dow Senhora da Ribeira

Post by jdaw1 »

Tasted at The Big Fortified Tasting, a trade fair in London at Glaziers Hall on Wed 06 April 2011 (Review thread, containing links to other tasting notes). This being a large trade-fair event, tasting notes generally brief.

DR09. Unsurprisingly, very young. As always with newly bottled (indeed, not yet bottled) vintage port, hard to dissect. Heat obvious, but that might fade. Only mid-weight. Fair structure. Nothing odd or remarkable about it.
JacobH
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2009 Dow Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira

Post by JacobH »

Cask Sample 3 2009 VP
Violets on the nose. Some heat, too. Fruit not as vibrant as one might expect. Will be interesting to see how this develops. It may need more time to open.

I believe that jdaw1 remarked that a blend of this and the 2009 Bomfim might produce a rather fine wine which seems to me a sensible observation and one that reinforces the importance of blended.

I think that the Symingtons will be releasing this soon, as a traditional Vintage Port, whilst the Bomfim will only be released after a decade or so in the bottle.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 2009 Dow Quinta da Senhora da Ribeira

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

Cask sample, 300 cases made. More herbaceous than the Malvedos. On the palate is fruit, restrained at first and growing bigger to such an extent that the tannins are hidden behind the fruit. The finish is long, full of ripe dry blackcurrants. This is an attractive, straightforward and uncomplicated port (that will be bottled the week after the show). 88-90/100.
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.