2009 Taylor

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Alex Bridgeman
Graham’s 1948

Re: 2009 Taylor

Post by Alex Bridgeman »

A blend of ports from Vargellas and Terra Feita with some wines from Junco. Magenta coloured. An amazing nose, full of blueberries and lavender. Very smooth in texture, medium bodied even at this stage of life. Surprisingly refined for Taylor - less power and more finesse than I would have expected. Beautiful floral tones, a fantastic balance, intense levels of perfect fruit and tannins which are ripe and rounded make this an amazing port on the palate. The aftertaste is restrained and the finish slow to develop but eventually delivers a modest 50% cocoa chocolate and sour cherry combination that is extremely enjoyable. This is a beautiful and extremely impressive port and will certainly be one of the shippers I buy from this vintage. 93-95
Top Ports in 2023: Taylor 1896 Colheita, b. 2021. A perfect Port.

2024: Niepoort 1900 Colheita, b.1971. A near perfect Port.
g-man
Quinta do Vesuvio 1994

Re: 2009 Taylor

Post by g-man »

This is an impressive port.

It's so refined, so perfectly balanced.

Nose of blueberries and that young violet and lavender port nose.

Loads of red and blackberries that fills out the palate the medium body but then the silky tannins sneak up and fleshes out the body giving this weight. It's got a slight dusty aftertaste that gets integrated with some more red fruit that lingers around all the right spots on the palate.

94-96.

My favorite 09
Disclosure: Distributor of Quevedo wines and Quinta do Gomariz