1985 Fonseca

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
DRT
Fonseca 1966

1985 Fonseca Vintage Port

Post by DRT »

May 2006

1st bottle from 3 cases of 6 purchased through Fine & Rare Wines. Sold as "Ex-cellars" which I am told means that it has only just been released by the shipper.

The cork broke 2/3rds of the way down. It was quite wet, almost to the top, but not leaking.

On Decanting
Huge blackcurrant and dark chocolate smell. Very dark ruby red colour. Slightly hot but good long fruity taste. Extremely smooth and thick in the mouth.

+9 Hours
Colour now darker. Slight spirit on the nose - not much fruit now but still hints of dark chocolate. Smooth fruity initial taste then big tannin kick and squeeky teeth. Long mouth watering finish. No significant change detected drinking over the next 3 hours.

+33 Hours
More fruit on the nose now. Similar taste to the previous evening and still bone dry tannins and mouth watering finish. No heat evident at any stage.

My verdict is that this is a great wine that is far too young to drink. Luckily I have 17 more so I can test my theory on a regular basis over the next few years 88)