1983 Offley

Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
Forum rules
Tasting notes for individual Ports, with an index sorted by vintage and alphabetically.
uncle tom
Dalva Golden White Colheita 1952

1983 Offley

Post by uncle tom »

1983 Offley Boa Vista Vintage Port
I have a large quantity of these, yet it is 18 months since I last popped one.

Sound bottle with good level, but very bin soiled.

Decanted a few minutes ago - very dark for it's age. Average sediment.

First sip - quite raw with plenty of bottle stink - has similarities to Vargellas in that there is a distinct note of violets on the palate.

Will return for a glass proper this evening..

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Half a day on..

The fullness and degree of extraction is high for a wine of this age - it is also coming over as a wine that has more to offer in the future.

It also confirms a trait that I have spotted before - many '83's are light on bouquet..

Still a bit of fire, and a hard edge, but punching above it's weight, price-wise

Tom
I may be drunk, Miss, but in the morning I shall be sober and you will still be ugly - W.S. Churchill
uncle tom

Post by uncle tom »

Wine evolved a little after the 12 hour marker, but not by much - 2 1/2 days on there is more mouthfeel - to use one of Conky's favourite terms - but there is still some fire.

This wine has more to offer though - it is clearly juvenile.

To score

For immediate gratification, this is very drinkable, but not a star, and not quite above the median - a 4

Where's it going?

The depth and extraction of the wine is very good, and it's juvenile nature at 24yrs points to a long future, but I'm a little concerned about the fire - it may still be in Kevin mode

This could well emerge as a long term heavyweight from an otherwise lighter, more immediate vintage.

I'll score 4-6

Tom